Curbside Garbage Collection: choose your cart size
Tell us what size garbage cart you need and we’ll provide a 35, 65 or 95 gallon black cart. Set it out on the curb by 7:00 am on your garbage pick-up day. Make sure the cart’s arrow is pointing toward the street.
What if the garbage doesn’t all fit in my cart?
You can buy an extra garbage tag for $6 and attach it to a 35 gallon plastic bag.
Where do I buy extra garbage tags?
At local supermarkets and the City Utilities Dept.
My garbage wasn’t collected! What happened?
See the reasons below. If pickup isn’t possible, we’ll leave a tag on your cart explaining why not. To understand more, call (408) 565-9900 or visit How to Get Rid of.
- The cart was too heavy:
- 35 gallon carts can’t weigh more than 100 lbs.
- 65 / 95 gallon carts can’t weigh more than 200 lbs.
- There wasn’t a prepaid tag on the bag.
- The cart wasn’t at the curb by 7 am.
- Garbage was spilled on the ground.
- It contained prohibited materials (auto parts, tires, hazardous or e-waste.)
- Cart overloaded
What are prohibited materials?
See list below for items we cannot pickup in your cart. If you need to dispose of any of the prohibited materials below, refer to Household Hazardous Waste or call the Sunnyvale Recycling center (SMaRT Station®) at (408) 752-8530.
- computer monitors and televisions (cathode ray tubes)
- fluorescent light bulbs or tubes
- oils (other than used motor oil)
- hazardous materials or products
- caustic, corrosive or toxic chemicals
- paints and other liquids
- auto parts
- large dead animals (larger than a cat)
- dirt or sod
- “Sharps” like needles or syringes