Curbside RecyclingSunnyvale residents living in single-family, duplex, triplex or mobile homes, will be provided with "single-family" recycling service.
Sunnyvale strongly encourages residents to separate recyclables from household garbage to ensure the most cost-effective collection and recycling of materials.
We provide a wheeled split cart for collection of recyclable materials. In addition, we provide one-gallon jugs for used motor oil, and heavy-duty zip-lock bags for used motor oil filters. Customers may use paper bags for excess recyclables except oil and oil filters. To order recycling carts, oil jugs or filter bags call the Sunnyvale Revenue Division at (408) 730-7400 (Limit: one cart per address).
Preparing Materials:Please prepare your recyclables for collection as indicated below. Materials not handled accordingly may not be picked up by Specialty. When your cart is full, or nearly full, place it curbside by 7:00 am on your pick-up day. Make sure to place cart in the street with wheels against the curb and arrows on the lid pointing toward the street.
Materials Collected at Curbside(split recycling cart - green lid, blue lid sides)
Blue-lid side for containers:
- Metal food and beverage containers - rinsed
- Plastic bottles, jars, tubs and cups (#1 - #7) (soda bottles, margarine tubs) - remove lids and flatten
- Glass food and beverage containers - remove lids
- Newspaper and inserts (place loosely in the cart)
- Phone books
- White, colored and glossy paper
- Junk mail and envelopes (plastic windows ok)
- Catalogs and magazines
- Cereal and cake mix boxes
- Paper egg cartons
- Manila folders and hanging files
- Shredded paper
- Paper bags
- Paperback books
- Shoe or clothing boxes
Also Collected at Curbside:
- Used motor oil - pour into the jug, provided by Specialty, or a non-breakable one-gallon container with a screw top lid (e.g. rinsed plastic detergent container).
- Oil filters - after completely draining excess oil from filter into an oil pan, place filter in a heavy-duty zip-lock plastic bag, seal the bag, and place the sealed bag at the curbside on your next recycling day. When the filter is collected, a replacement bag will be provided.
- Corrugated cardboard - Tie or tape into flattened bundles 30” x 30” x 6” or smaller.
- Paper grocery bags - flatten bags and put inside another paper grocery bag or bundle with cardboard. White bags are OK.
- Household batteries - rechargeable batteries from cellphones, laptops and cordless power tools, AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volts, and button batteries such as those found in hearing aids. Tape battery terminals and put batteries in a tightly sealed, clear-plastic bag and place the bag on top of your recycling split cart.
NOT Collected at Curbside:The following materials are not collected at curbside for recycling. Recycling containers bearing these materials will not be emptied. Some of these materials may be recycled at the SMaRT® Station Recycling Center located at 301 Carl Road, Sunnyvale, open daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Call with questions at (408) 752-8530.
- Motor oil mixed with other liquids
- Plastics other than bottles, jars, tubs and cups (#1 - #7)
- Window/auto glass & crushed glass
- Ceramics & porcelain